At the Philanthropy, we make multi-year grants to not-for-profit organisations that work with the most vulnerable in our society. Through such support, people who are deeply disadvantaged and marginalised are offered immediate care, access to essential services, and the possibility of a dignified future.
Through our grants, we support a range of initiatives - at the level of a community of marginalised people, as well as at the level of the government service delivery systems. For instance, we support our partners to provide shelter to homeless people living on the streets of Kolkata, and support improving last-mile access to the welfare services for the communities living in the tribal areas of Andhra Pradesh.
Our teams working on each of our thematic areas focus on developing an understanding of the issues and building partnerships toward a common set of goals. We systematically engage with our partner organisations and communities to reflect and learn, with an aim to improve the lives of these communities.
Areas we work in
Through the grants, we support our partner organisations working in the following areas:
- Gender justice: Issues around women, adolescent girls, and transgender and other gender minorities
- Children in need of care and protection: Street children, children doing hazardous labour, runaway children, children in conflict with the law
- Disability: Persons with physical or mental disabilities
- Urban poor: Deals with exploring urban destitution, including the homeless, people living in slums, elderly poor, migrants, waste pickers, manual scavengers
- Land and forest-dependent groups: Vulnerabilities of marginal farmers, landless workers, pastoral and tribal communities
- Odisha nutrition programme: Reducing childhood stunting through health, nutrition, and hygiene
- Governance: Improve last-mile access to welfare services. Access to justice for the most vulnerable. Local democracy (Panchayati Raj)
- Constitutional values: Fellowships and youth programmes to promote democratic values
- Geography focus: Focused attention on selected regions that include North-East Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and, Jharkhand
- Strengthening civil society: Helping NGOs and CBOs build support functions through shared services and capacity building